Friday, July 18, 2008

A General Rule of Thumb

Today I had some running around to do downtown and I took the bus. As we pulled up to the stop at Broadway and Granville, I saw a woman wearing a great pair of black and tan peep-toe pumps, probably about a 4" heel.

What really caught my eye, however, was the white and red sticker on the sole of the arch. Instantly I could tell she bought them at Winners (white sticker) and on clearance (red sticker).

Now, I buy most of my shoes there too, and I love a clearance price as much as the next gal, but whatever happened to peeling that sticker off when you get them home? Hmm?

Just a general rule - the underside of that arch will draw attention to itself if there's anything bright on it. Some designers like Laboutin and Betsey Johnson take advantage of this real estate and make you look through using brightly colored or patterned soles. This is good. Having attention drawn there by the price and sale stickers is not good.

1 comment:

Rhett Foxx said...

I should add here that I know getting those damn stickers off is a pain in the ass.

Sometimes I get lucky and I can get the whole thing to neatly peel off, other times the job calls for a good Family Guy or South Park rerun (or DVD) and a lot of patience with scratching and peeling.

A friend once told me that nail polish remover can loosen up the adhesive but I've never actually tried this so I can't vouch for it.